Monday, July 22, 2024

Post #6

 Wow Post Number 6 already and not a new track laid yet. It is all about the planning that needs to be done.

I have previously posted photos of my two freight cars. They are the two unpainted models that will need painting one day. I have been planning to start posting the photos of the painted models next. Now I have to admit that I am certainly no expert on the history of the prototypes of these models. There was no choice when I picked out the painted models in the sellers collection. But what I can gather is that most of these painted models are from the Chicago Surface Lines. So I am not fussed what system they came from, my first models were all from different operators (see video on previous Post #5) The models were tested on a set track circle on the dining room table and two are no goers at the moment, hopefully just a loose wire. I have left this issue till another day.

Another day two mates and I did a hobby shop crawl. We started off at Bergs Hobbies at Parramatta, then moved onto Woodpecker Hobbies at Pendle Hill. This is the hobby shop Rod Stewart dropped into on his last tour of Australia. And they have  photos on the wall to prove it. After this we moved onto Blacktown where we visited Model Railroad Craftsman. I purchased some Walthers Town series building kits and they are safely in the 'trolley' draw waiting to be assembled.

No overhead yet but looking happy amongst the scenery


 

Now according to the box the green trolley is a PTC 'Nearside' car and made by KMT in Japan. The first thing you notice with most of these trolleys is that they have no glazing in place. Must have been very draughty in there. I hope this will be a quick fix later on. You can see how thins with models have now improved - underfloor power truck instead of a big motor visible and they now come with seats. I have plenty of work ahead building the layout before I worry about providing seats for passengers.






The red and cream car box shows the model was used on the Chicago Surface Lines. Also from the same manufacturer as the green model above. You can see that the model was fitted with glazing from the factory but you can't see in. Don't know what's better, being able to see in or not?

The photos have been taken on my current O scale layout so please forgive the lack of overhead wiring at the moment. Another four cars to show on another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment